Baptist Mission Church Cemetery (Lost)

See the Digital Cemetery for more info.

Lost Cemetery

NE quarter of Section 5, Township 12S, Range 23E

The exact site of the first or second location of the Baptist Mission is unknown. Unlike the Quaker Mission, whose building still stood in 1874, the old site of the Baptist Mission is not noted on the earliest 1874 atlas. Research reveals mention of the cemetery in the churchyard of the Baptist Mission Church at the second location in what is now Mission, KS. The DAR placed a marker to commemorate the Baptist Mission on the Johnson County side of the Wyandotte County line on the SE corner of 55th and Widmer.

The Baptist Mission Church and cemetery were mentioned as an exception in the 1854 Treaty with the Shawnee.

"... and to the American Baptist Missionary Union, to include the improvements where the superintendent of their school now resides, one hundred and sixty acres of land;" and "...two acres of land to the Shawnee Baptist Church, including the meeting-house and graveyard." 

(Kappler, Charles J. Indian Affairs: Laws and Treaties, Vol. 2, Treaties, pg 619. Government Printing Office, Washington, 1904.)

Baptist Mission DAR Marker

Baptist Mission DAR marker

KSGenWeb
KSGenWeb County List

USGenWeb

Click to view...

Neighboring KS Counties

Douglas Co KSGenWeb

Franklin Co KSGenWeb

Leavenworth Co KSGenWeb

Miami Co KSGenWeb

Wyandotte Co KSGenWeb

Neighboring MO Counties

Cass Co MOGenWeb

Jackson Co MOGenWeb

Kansas City MOGenWeb

 

Blogs

Geneabloggers
Blacksheep's Meadow

BlackSheep Sunday Meme

 

Creative Commons License

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS!